This walk explores the path system that connects the northern and southern
ends of North Shore Drive.
- The path starts at the exit from the Tall Oaks Village Center furthest from
Wiehle Avenue. Cross North Shore Drive and turn left to follow the sidewalk
on the far side of that road. You should be going east with the road on your
- The trail crosses Oak Spring Way and continues along North Shore Drive.
It will also cross Brentana Way.
- Turn left at the intersection of Scandia Circle and follow the sidewalk
on the left hand side.
- Do not take the asphalt trail to the left shown in this picture. Continue
on the sidewalk until the end of Scandia Circle.
- Take the wide asphalt trail on the right at the end of Scandia Circle. It
will go down a hill.
- Turn right where the trail ends at a wide asphalt path. Take the wide asphalt
trail down the hill not turning at the next 2 trails to the right.
- The trail crosses a creek at the bottom of the hill and starts up another
- Do not take the asphalt trail crossing the bridge to the left. That will
be the return trail.
- Do not take the asphalt trail to the left. Continue straight on the present
- The trail crosses Becontree Lane. Continue straight with the buildings on
- The trail crosses another creek at the bottom of the hill.
- Just past the creek is a sign marking Buttermilk Creek Trail. Continue on
the present path into the pipeline area and up the hill.
- The trail emerges at the Uplands Pool. If you wish to take the short
loop go to point 27 in these instructions. To take the long loop
go to point 14 in the instructions.
- (Long loop). Turn right along the sidewalk along Ring Road and cross
the pipeline area. The trail will cross Aldenham Lane and Thanlet Lane.
- Cross Hunt Club Road and turn right to follow the sidewalk with that road
on your right.
- Look for a sign on the other side of the road marking the other end of the
Buttermilk Creek Trail. Continue along the sidewalk.
- As the road turns to the right a wide asphalt trail will appear on the left.
Turn left to follow that trail into the woods.
- The trail crosses 2 bridges.
- The trail emerges climbing a hill in the pipeline area.
- Cross Ring Road and turn right to follow the sidewalk west on the other
side. The road should be on your right. After a short distance cross Deep
Run Lane. Continue along Ring Road.
- Turn right to take the sidewalk down the left side of Saffold Way.
- Pass the first wide asphalt trail on the left. Near the end of the road
where it turns to the right take the wide asphalt trail to the left down the
hill towards the stream.
- After the trail crosses the bridge turn left to take the asphalt trail that
follows the stream.
- Take a sharp left at the trail intersection as the current trail starts
to go to the right. The trail will cross the stream.
- Turn right to follow the stream on the wide asphalt trail on the other side.
- The trail turns right and enters a tunnel under North Shore Drive. At the
other end of the tunnel turn right onto the wide asphalt trail. You have just
rejoined the short loop. Go to step 30 in the instructions.
- (Short loop) Turn left at the pool area and follow the sidewalk west
along North Shore Drive.
- The sidewalk leads into a wide asphalt trail that enters the woods.
- At the trail intersection leading towards the tunnel keep to the left to
follow the wide asphalt trail away from the tunnel. You have just rejoined
the long loop.
- (Both loops) The trail climbs a hill and enters a tunnel under Becontree
Lane. Note that there has been school construction here for several years
and this portion of the walk may require a detour.
- Houses appear on the left of the trail after emerging from the tunnel. Do
not take the narrow asphalt trail to the right.
- Turn left at the wide asphalt trail. There will be houses on the left and
woods on the right. Do not turn at the next asphalt trail to the left.
- Turn right at the next trail intersection. Houses will continue to be on
the left and woods on the right. You will pass through a grassy area and enter
- The trail curves to the left as it passes down through the pipeline area.
It will then continue down the hill as it enters the woods.
- Turn right onto the wide asphalt trail where the current trail ends.
- The trail crosses a creek and climbs a hill.
- Three trails intersect on the left. Keep to the right so that woods are
on the right and houses on the left.
- The trail curves to the left and a building appears on the right. Do not
take the trail intersecting on the left.
- The trail emerges into the Tall Oaks Village Center ending the walk.
Next - Pictorial Directions
Home - Contents