The walk starts from the Cabells Mill Complex parking
lot in Ellanor C. Lawrence Park.
- From the parking lot turn right and follow the service
road away from Walney Road. The service road will turn to the left.
- Turn right onto the intersecting gravel trail. A trail
sign and map will appear shortly on the right.
- A trail intersects from the right. Continue straight
on the present trail.
- An asphalt trail intersects from the right next to
a bench. Continue on the present trail.
- The trail turns away from Rocky Run and intersects
with an asphalt trail. Turn left onto that trail and cross a bridge after
a short distance.
- The trail enters an open area with houses. Turn left
to walk a short distance to a street crossing.
CAUTION It appears that the correct route would be to the right but
that will take you away from Rocky Run.
Pick up the trail at the end of the cul-de-sac next to a driveway. This
is the only street crossing for the western section of this trail.
- A trail intersects from the right. Continue on the
- At the next asphalt trail intersection turn to the
- The trail passes an asphalt trail to the left and a
natural surface trail to the right. Continue straight on the present trail.
The trail to the right leads to Poplar Tree School.
- An asphalt trail intersects from the right. There is
a nice play area here with a picnic table in the shade. Continue straight
on the present trail following the stream.
- The trail meets Stringfellow Road. This is the end
of this walk section. You may return by the same route or continue on the
eastern section of the Rocky Run trail.
There is no crosswalk on Springfellow Road so be careful
when crossing to the other side as traffic is heavy. On the other side turn
left on the asphalt trail. It will cross Rocky Run on a bridge. After making
the crossing take the asphalt trail to the right. It will shortly take a sharp
turn to the right to follow Rocky Run. A map of the trail on the eastern side
of Stringfellow Road is planned for the future.
Home - Contents